Sunday, May 16, 2010

What a day!

Considering I start work tomorrow and I'll be busy pretty much here on out, I decided to take a little tour of the city today. It started as just wanting to make sure I knew how to get to work from Brooklyn (I'm staying in Brooklyn for the first week), so I got on the subway around noon and headed towards Manhattan.

After finding Ford, I looked up addresses to a few places I've been dying to see. The first address was to Chelsea Hotel (Edie Sedgwick lived there in the 60's), and wouldn't you know it, it was just a five minute walk from Ford.  I walked around Chelsea for about an hour. I'm in love.

The next stop was my future dorm.  On the way to the subway, I accidentally walked past a camera while someone was filming.  Not sure what they were filming, but I bet they weren't happy with me for messing up the scene. After arriving at Brittany Hall, I tried to decide between SoHo and The Dakota (yes, I have a weird obsession with it.)  I started to feel tired, so I decided to go to Serendipity instead and sit down with a cup of coffee, then walk to the Dakota.

Not. It was really expensive. And crowded!

At that point, I was really worn out and hungry.  I got on the subway and headed towards SoHo so I could sit down for a little while. I was hoping to find something to eat right when I got off the subway.  Word of advice: never go to popular places on a sunny weekend day in NY! It was super busy- not how I remembered it at all. I walked for about thirty minutes, then wound up at a pizzeria in Little Italy. I don't care what people say, New Yorkers really are nice. I managed to drop my piece of pizza within 10 seconds of holding it. A customer got up and picked it up for me, then I was given a new piece immediately. Nice Northern hospitality. After eating, I walked around SoHo a little bit. I ended up leaving after a while- I like it better on quiet days.  When I got to the subway, a lost woman came up to me and said, "Excuse me, do you live here?" With great pleasure I said, "Yes, I do." She then asked for directions, which I gave hesitantly.  I think/hope I pointed her in the right direction.

I ended up in Union Square looking for a pair of shoes for work.  After the 5 hours of walking, I was moving at a snail's pace. I found a pair at DSW, then desperately searched for another place to sit down.  Starbucks? No. Dunkin Donuts? Busy. I walked a little while, then found an ice cream/coffee shop tucked away on 10th street.  I sat down for a little while, then headed back to Brooklyn.

I sit here now completely exhausted. I don't think I'll be moving from the couch all night.

All in all, a very exciting first day in the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment