Tuesday, June 1, 2010

It's been a very relaxing weekend.  I never thought I'd want to just stay inside in New York, but that's what I did for most of the weekend.

Meagan is dog-sitting in this BEAUTIFUL apartment in Park Slope, so I went over there Saturday night.  The guy she's dog-sitting for asked what kind of groceries she wanted for the week, and she said lots of vegetables. Of all things, guess what he bought? Butternut squash. So, we searched for recipes involving butternut squash and ended up finding a pretty great one (thank you, Ms. Joy of Cooking).  I have this fear of gas top stoves, so I was having a hard time in the kitchen... I still don't understand why people have gas stoves. :(

Anyway, all day and night Sunday I laid in bed. Yep. That's it. It was fantastic. With Netflix at hand, you can keep yourself entertained for hours.  I watched the documentary "Food, Inc."  Just a warning... don't watch that if you like to eat... anything. Seriously. I'm glad I watched it, but it makes me long for my kitchen in Starkville so I can decide what goes into my meals again.

Yesterday, Memorial Day, was so fun! A group of people went to Prospect Park in Brooklyn and cooked out.  There was not a cloud in the sky.  We stayed out there pretty much all afternoon, so I got some sun (finally).  You would think walking around all day every day, I would have gotten a little tan before then.  Maybe the buildings are just blocking all the UV rays.

Unfortunately, I've been awake since 2 AM (fell asleep at 7 PM).  I think I'm sick.  I watched NY1 news for 3 and a half hours straight.  They played the same stories over and over the whole time.  I was so thankful when the 5 AM news came on.  When the sun started rising, I left Brooklyn and headed back to the dorm.  The sunrise was beautiful.  I watched it rise over the (imitation) Arc De Triomphe.

I'm so thankful for NYU dining dollars, even if we can only use it at Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks.  And I'm also thankful that Dunkin serves mild coffee.  I couldn't survive in the mornings without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment