Saturday, July 10, 2010

It's 4:30 AM, and I have to leave my dorm in about 20 minutes so I'm going to make this quick.

It turns out that I finished my internship earlier than expected.  It's bittersweet, really.  I'll be on my way to the airport at 5 AM.  I'll be driving past the beautiful skyscrapers, weaving through taxis, and remembering every single moment I spent here.  I love this city.  I don't know whether to cry because I'm leaving or jump up and down because I'm going home.  I kind of just want to do both.

I would like to leave one final thought before I'm out of New York and the moment is gone.  I believe, out of all the lessons I've learned from being up here in such a short time, there is one that stands out the most.  It all comes down to this: live your whole life. I often found myself walking these streets, darting in between tourists taking pictures and New Yorkers on their blackberries, and wondering what the heck I was doing here.  And every time I thought about how I got here, I just had to smile.  It was literally just an idea that popped in my head about seven months ago on a rainy day in Starkville.  I was just really wanting some life experience outside of my normal boundaries.  Next thing I know, phone calls are being made, resume is being perfected, and I'm flying up to New York City for an interview.  It happened so fast and I really don't remember my thought process along the way, but I do know this much:  it happened because I never doubted it would.  It happened because, at the time, it was the absolute right thing for me to do at this time in my life.  I have to encourage anyone who reads this to make up your mind about where you want to be, or where you think you need to be, and just do it.  Really, nothing is stopping you.

I have several people to thank for getting me up here (and getting me back home!) And I do intend on making this blog longer.  For now, though, I have to go.  As sad as it is to say, this is my last blog I'll be writing on my New York summer while I'm still in New York..  but I can't wait to write the rest when I get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment